Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How Many Times?

How many times have you said, "that's it, I'm not going to watch these guys anymore." Admit it, you've said it, but then like some crack addict, you're back watching NESN, reading Boston Dirt Dogs, and arguing about it at the water cooler.

Is it possible? Can you really give up watching something that you care about but that makes you crazy? I did it for CNBC (Tout TV), the folks trying to sell you that stocks only go up, and that everything is normal, and you can trust Wall Street. Haven't watched them since the end of 2008.

But the Sawx? Can I live without watching Dice-K diddle around the strike zone, Tim "Send 'em in" Bogar at third, Marco (I've got a better arm than he does) Scutaro, and the rest?

Sure, I'd miss Dustin Pedroia's feisty play and Youkilis cursing himself out for a nonproductive at-bat. And I'd miss J.D. Drew's sweet swing, "Sweet Caroline", and "Dirty Water".

I mean, I live by the mantra that there are more old drunks than old doctors, but are there more old drunks than old Red Sox fans, too?

"In Theo We Trust" has gone to the back burner, and the Sox must be looking for a new slogan like, "we're not dead, yet" or "you wouldn't give up on your sick grandma that easily", "the Celtics don't play every night", or "at least we're not the Bruins."

Charlie Brown had a word for it, "aarrgghh".

No comments: