Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Mo' Lester the Better

Okay, I said I wouldn't do it, but I can't really help myself. Jon 'Mo' Lester has ten strikeouts through six innings tonight.

I'm not making the kid out to be Steve Carlton, Jerry Koosman, or even Bruce Hurst, but he can make people swing and miss, even if they are from the NL East (okay, I've said that, too). Very refreshing to see the Red Sox give youth a chance. I hope that they protect their investment (pitch count). Some will argue that's stupid, but recall the A's blowing out some young arms years ago.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (and I pitched, or tried), I was taught that you WANTED the hitter to hit the changeup, not miss it.

The Sox are trying to improve depth with Jason Johnson. Let's hope that he wasn't another doper who had a couple of decent seasons with the needle.

Kevin Youkilis remains a phenom at first base/leadoff, with his stats better than everybody at first last time I checked, except for Giambi, one of the Juice Guys, and Thome. Youkilis is yet another example of a guy finally getting his full chance, and making the most of it.

Aside from his terrific defense, Alex Gonzalez has chipped in a lot of offense lately, too. Not too shabby.

Frankly, it's gotta be tough on the sportswriters not to have anything to complain about. Can we think about anything to complain about?

1. Terry Francona's smock (who cares)
2. Tina Cervasio's black dress last week (really bad look for her)
3. Chris Snow moving on to Minnesota and hockey. Stay home, Chris...and good luck.
4. Manny Ramirez's locks in the heat...makes me feel overheated.
5. The overshift on David Ortiz.
6. Doug Mirabelli at the plate, not behind it.
7. Not having Wily Mo to root for.
8. Trot not doing enough against LHP.
9. The unavailability of Monster Seats.
10.Red Sox Nation cards.

1 comment:

Lori Renn said...

Love your blog. The list cracked me up.

Lori
proud member of RSN and I don't need no stinkin' card!